Thursday, June 18, 2015

Vacant lot on Jasper close to front street         6-16-15

www.amybritter.com













I've been wheat pasting images of mobile homes around North Philadelphia. I live in Kensington and passed this abandoned lot on my way home from work every day. I decided to stop one day and use the existing debris to build walls out of the old cinderblocks to become my new working surface. This work is important to me because it affords me an opportunity to meet my curious neighbors and an abandoned space for me to share my ideas surrounding impermanence in the housing market. 

Homes and buildings are torn down every day in Philadelphia and new condos are replacing these historic buildings. I relate to this decaying infrastructure connecting it back to my experience of growing up in a mobile home park where homes break down at alarming rates and in the end fit into a single dumpster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment